Suicide and parasuicide (non-suicidal self-injury) are prominent features in borderline personality disorder. Although both are briefly described in the same diagnostic criteria, they are distinctly different clinical phenomena and require different treatment approaches. While evidence-based treatments for BPD have existed for over 20 years now, even the most skilled clinicians still lack a cohesive approach for conceptualizing and treating this difficult population and oftentimes find themselves at a loss regarding how to deal with these sometimes confusing behaviors in this challenging population.
They can be chaotic, impulsive and unstable. Research also suggests an estimated 75% of individuals with this diagnosis will commit at least one self damaging act and 10% eventually die by suicide.
The good news is, there is hope for helping these individuals find a life worth living.
Leave this 3-hour online training with internationally recognized personality disorder expert Jeff Riggenbach equipped with the clinical tools to:
- Distinguish suicide from parasuicide and learn specific interventions for each.
- Have conversations with your clients about the BPD diagnosis in a way that minimizes defensiveness and elicits client buy-in.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the 3 ways schemas are maintained and the role that they play in driving destructive behaviors.
- Differentiate BPD from PTSD, Bipolar disorder, and other sometimes difficult to discern conditions.
- Recognize the 8 most common reasons for NSSI endorsed by clients with BPD and apply clinically appropriate interventions for each.
- Discuss clinically appropriate disposition options in response to dangerousness.
Cost: $62.50 – Want to attend this course and any future event or course from our CE library for FREE and unlimited for the cost of $29.99/month for 12 months??!! Check out our Everything Plan here.
This training will provide participants clinical knowledge and tools to:
a). Develop an in-depth understanding of the nine essential characteristics of Borderline Personality Disorder.
b). Acquire language skills for having the conversation with clients and family members in a way that decreases client defensiveness an elicits buy-in.
c). Learn the 8 motivations for NSSI highly endorsed by clients with BPD and appropriate intervention strategies for each.
d). Separate 3 clinically significant “Suicidal” components to BPD and learn how to assess for each.
e). Acquire key differential diagnosis skills for Borderline PD, PTSD, Bipolar Disorder and other clinically overlapping conditions.
f). Learn the 18 maladaptive schemas present in BPD and their role in driving destructive behaviors.
g). Develop skills in assessment of suicidality and parasuicidality and decision-making skills regarding appropriate levels of care for each.
h). Utilize reasons for living to enhance hope and decrease suicide attempts.
i). Learn critical keys for safety planning specific to the BPD population.
BPD In Everyday Language
- Abandonment and Destructive Behaviors
- Suicide vs. Parasuicide
- 8 Motivations for NSSI
- Indications for Hospitalization
- BPD v Bipolar “mood swings”
- Differential Diagnosis
- Schema-Focused Therapy
The Role of Schemas in Destructive Behaviors
- 18 Early Maladaptive Schemas
- Schema Activation
- NSSI & Schema Maintenance
- The Therapeutic Alliance
- Treatment Agreements
Skills Training Groups
- Relational Skills
- Emotion Regulation Skills
- Distress Tolerance Skills
- Cognitive Skills
- Session acuity protocol
- Diary Cards and Daily Logs
- Risk Assessment & Safety Planning
- Complex Chain Analysis
- Protective factors and Reasons for Living
Mental Health Clinicians & Therapists, Social Workers, Psychologists, Marriage & Family Therapists, Counselors, School Personnel, Youth Development Workers, Healthcare Workers.
Instructional Level: Intermediate
Instructor(s): Jeff Riggenbach, PhD
Material Author(s): Jeff Riggenbach, PhD
For additional information about this course, the instructors, or the material authors, please contact Content Assistance at email@example.com.
Featured Materials :
Course materials for online asynchronous courses are found in the Lesson module after a course is purchased.